Idioms and word use in English

Thảo luận trong 'CLB NGOẠI NGỮ' bắt đầu bởi tandai, 06/05/2009.

1. tandai

tandai Tự hành lữ khách...

Let's talk and ask together about idioms and word use in English.

Thank you.

5 people like this.
  2. tandai

the very heart of

What does it mean the idiom "the very heart of"? I've found it in an education article, and failed to find it's clear definition in the dictionaries. Many thanks.

Chỉnh sửa cuối: 06/05/2009
    7 people like this.
  3. ngodangduy

ngodangduy kẻ hát rong...

“The very heart of” means something (mostly the place) which is very close to the center of somewhere. For example:

Hoan Kiem Lake is the heart of Hanoi, and Trang Tien Palza is in the very heart of Hanoi (because TT plaza is very close to Hoan Kiem Lake).

Sometimes, it does not refer to a place. For example:

Your English sounds in the very heart of English (You speak English very naturally, like a native).

5 people like this.
  4. tandai

I guessed like this, but was not sured before your answer.:p

In fact, I'd always thought that "very" was only an adverb (usually used with adjectives such as "very good", "very beautiful") and so did not see the definition of this word ("very") in the dictionary. Now, upon your explanation and examples, I've found a definition like this:
    very
    Adjective used with nouns to give emphasis or exaggerated intensity.

Thank you.:no1:

Chỉnh sửa cuối: 07/05/2009
    2 people like this.
  5. tandai

Constituencies

Another question, about "constituencies", in this phrase:

"Some portion of the financial squeeze is attributable to competing claims on state revenues by other high-profile constituencies, such as elementary and secondary education and health care." (in an article about state-university financial and autonomy relations)

I've found some definitions such as:
    The body of voters or the residents of a district represented by an elected legislator or official
    or
    A group served by an organization or institution; a clientele.
    However, "elementary education", "secondary education" and "health care" seem to be (at least for me :p) neither "voters" nor "clientele". What should its meaning be in Vietnamese?

Chỉnh sửa cuối: 09/05/2009
  6. tandai

Do more with less

Yet another question :p:

How should we translate the idiom "do more with less" in Vietnamese?

Chia sẻ trang này